November 25th is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.
It marks the beginning of the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence Campaign, an organising strategy by individuals and organisations around the world to call for the prevention and elimination of violence against women and girls.
This campaign, also known as “Orange the World” uses orange as its unifying colour throughout all its activities. It is a symbol of a brighter future, free from violence against women and girls.
The Soroptimist Union of Austria launched a nation-wide campaign “Orange the World 2018” in cooperation with UN Women NKÖ and HeforShe Graz. The Austrian Soroptimist Clubs were called upon by the Union’s Executive Committee to illuminate — in orange — at least one building/monument/site in their city/region in order to send a visible signal.
To support the campaign, a well-known Austrian actress agreed to be — pro-bono! — the “face” of the campaign. Videos shot with her were published on the homepage www.orangetheworld.at. Furthermore, statements from politicians and religious dignitaries were posted and photos were published in magazines. The video was shown, among others, on video walls in public transportation in Vienna.
The results are conclusive:
- 40 (out of 58) SI clubs participated in the campaign with their own activities and 70 famous buildings and monuments will be illuminated in orange, ensuring that every region of Austria pays tribute to the cause,
- The President of the National Council took time during the National Council meeting to remind Austrian parliamentarians about the campaign,
- Parliamentarians wore the pin “Stop violence against women” (provided by the Austrian Soroptimists),
- More than 300 regional and national press reports appeared and a series of radio and television interviews were broadcast. Two musicians composed a “rap” on the topic,
- New potential members were attracted. Cooperation among Soroptimist clubs improved & bonded the members. Soroptimist International of Europe also increased its national profile through this campaign.
- Last but not least, the campaign will be continued in November 2019!